Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Job Shower? Maybe...Maybe not...

I just read an interesting blog post on how to throw yourself a job shower.

Throw Yourself A Job Shower

The author has some good points that reflect back on my earlier post on tips for making the most of a networking mixer. If people attend networking mixers with the intention of only what's in it for them, then nobody gets anything out of it, and the whole event is a drain.

But if people attend thinking about how they can help others, then everyone gets something out of it.

The last mixer that I attended, I met several people who I could really help with job leads. Not all of them had cards, but I gave all of them my card and told them to contact me after the mixer so that I could give them more details about leads that I have, contacts that I have, etc. The surprising thing is that none of these people contacted me afterward to follow through.

So my last additional tip for successful networking is just that - follow through on your leads. If you find that you can't remember who the people were, make notes on the back of their cards while you're talking to them. And if someone tells you that they have leads for you, don't blow them off.

Unless, of course, you have your ideal job all picked out. In that case, by all means, throw yourself a Job Shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment