Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Writing Sample? Certainly!

I applied for a job today and in the advertisement, I was instructed to send a writing sample of about half a page on any subject.

I thought for a moment and then realized that I have a writing sample. It's right here. It's my blog. So instead of writing something new, I included the URL for this blog in my cover email and invited them to read it.

I began blogging a couple of years ago when two writer friends suggested it as a way to keep my creative juices going after moving away from the more creative side of the entertainment industry into finance. I started this blog just to focus on my job search stories. I do have to say that they were absolutely right about blogging. I love having a place to write about whatever I want. I do feel that it gives me the chance to be creative whenever I choose.

Blogging has also helped me feel more comfortable about using social media like Facebook and Twitter. Twitter is nothing if not microblogging. The challenge with Twitter is being able to say something in 140 characters. Sometimes, I have to run over into a second tweet, but I am improving.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my friends (they know who they are) for encouraging me to begin blogging. Without them, I wouldn't have had so much writing to sample!

No comments:

Post a Comment